There are several types of planning applications that can be submitted to the Local Planning Authority. Generally, the most relevant applications submitted by householders are:

  • Full Householder Application
  • Lawful Development Certificate
  • Condition Discharge Application
  • Non-Material Amendment

Full Householder Application

The householder application is the standard full planning application that is submitted to the Council where the developer seeks full planning permission for a development related to the dwelling-house. This could include an extension, garage, Velux windows, driveway, etc. For a planning application to be validated you must submit elevation plans and a site location plan that is to scale (such as 1:100 or 1:50), sometimes the Council will require further information, but this is dependent on individual applications. You can submit the application on “Planning Applications Wales” It should be noted that even if you believe the development to be permitted development, this can still be submitted as a full planning application. Your proposed development will be assessed by local and national planning policies as well as supplementary planning guidance. The planning officer will usually make an officer recommendation of approval or refusal and then a delegated decision will typically be made by principal officers. In some instances, if development is controversial or the applicant is a member of the Council, the application could be determined by the planning committee.

Lawful Development Certificate

The lawful development certificate application can be submitted to the Council if you believe your development complies with the development requirements of the GPDO. Rather than assessing the development plans against local and national policies as well as supplementary guidance documents, the planning officer will assess your development against the criteria detailed in the GPDO. If the proposed development fails just one of the requirements the lawful development certificate will be refused, but if the plans fully comply then the development will be legally recognised as compliant with planning regulations. If development is carried out under permitted development without an application, planning enforcement will usually request an application is submitted to be approved.

Condition Discharge Application

When a planning decision is made by either the Council or Planning Inspectorate, the decision notice will always state that planning permission is granted subject to conditions. Sometimes the conditions require the applicant to submit further information about the development. For example, if an application for an extension has approved a condition may request that the applicant submit samples of the building materials. These details would usually be submitted as part of a conditional discharge application. The conditions do not need to be discharged through separate applications, they can be discharged in a single application. It is very important to assess the planning conditions attached to any decision notice as failure to comply with conditions will make you liable for enforcement action.

Non-Material Amendment

Where an application has been approved sometimes material costs, work schedules or design choices change meaning the approved plans must change. If the changes are very minor, they can be approved in a non-material amendment application. This amends the plans of a previously approved planning application

Close Menu